Because my son is on a rock climbing team, I discover indoor rock climbing in Florida. I enjoy the opportunities to visit and climb different gyms in Florida.
I did some researches and found a list of different and interesting climbing gyms all over Florida from the panhandle to southern Florida and from the west to the east coast of Florida. I came upon gyms that I have climbed at and gyms that I have never heard of. It is quite a fun learning experience.
Aiguille Climbing Center is the only public climbing gym in central Florida at this present time. They are located in Longwood which is approximately 15 miles north of downtown Orlando. Their address is 830 S Ronald Reagan Blvd. #252 Longwood, FL 32750. The cost for a day is $15. They have moved to a temporary location which has primarily bouldering along with 6 auto belays and 6 top ropes. Unfortunately, there is no lead climbing wall at this time.
Aiguille is my home climbing gym. The old location had 36 feet of walls and 10,000 square feet of space. There were top rope walls, bouldering walls, and a lead climbing area. Aiguille has a youth rockin’ climbing team (pun intended) and excellent climbing coaches. Several of our team members have been invited to participate in World Championships in the past years. Aiguille Team rocks! I am very proud of our team.
UCF (University of Central Florida) Recreational Climbing Tower is another gym in Central Florida. However, I am not counting it because it is available only to students. Most of our UCF students also practice at Aiguille during their spare time.
The newest gym in central Florida located downtown Orlando is Blue Swan Boulders. Their address is 400 Pittman Street, Orlando, Florida 32801. The gym opened to the public on September 14, 2020. It is a subsidiary of Moments Climbing, a Scandinavian company. Blue Swan Boulders offers 7,000 square feet of bouldering walls without ropes, free weights, climbing training equipment, and a coffee bar. Yes, I have visited Blue Swan Boulders. I had lots of fun with simpler routes. The cost for a day is $17.
About 30 miles north of downtown Orlando, another newer bouldering gym called Dynoclimb opened in August 2019. Their address is 528 S. Woodland Blvd, Deland, FL 32720. Dynoclimb offers bouldering, top rope, auto-belay, and ninja rig. I had a great time climbing here. I gravitated to their top-ropes and auto-belays, of course. It was about 25 feet tall and challenging. The cost for a day is $16.
East Coast of Florida
- On the Edge Rock Climbing Gym (now known as The Edge) is located in Melbourne, FL which is approximately 65 miles east of downtown Orlando. Their address is 200 West Drive Melbourne, FL 32904. This rock gym has top rope walls, bouldering walls, lead walls, and a new Kid Zone. On the Edge also has a youth climbing team which is one of Aiguille team rivalries. I had an opportunity to climb at On the Edge a few weekends ago and it was a lot of fun. They also offer auto-belay devices for top-rope which is cool because you do not need to have a partner to top rope certain routes. My son also had the opportunity to lead climb under the hanging box suspended off the ceiling. It was pretty neat. It was a 5.11 route. I didn’t have the courage to climb it yet. Perhaps, I will do it on my next visit.
- Adventure HQ is a bouldering facility located in Palm Shores, FL which is approximately 11 miles north of On the Edge and 62 miles east of downtown Orlando. Their address is 5270 N US Hwy 1, Palm Shores, FL 32940. They provide bouldering walls, an adventure zone (ninja warrior course & crazy climb), and escape rooms. Yes, I visited Adventure HQ and it was awesome. They have over 70 fun bouldering routes. I did not climb them all yet. I am saving them for my next visit. =)
- A new bouldering gym opened in 2017 called Beaches Rock Gym which is located in Atlantic Beach, FL and slightly east of Jacksonville. It is approximately 145 miles northeast of downtown Orlando. I just found out about this gym as I am doing my researches on indoor rock climbing in Florida. I would love to try them out on my next visit to Jacksonville, FL or near there.
- The Edge Rock Gym is located in Jacksonville, FL. I believe it is owned by the same owner as On the Edge climbing gym in Melbourne. They have top rope walls, bouldering walls, and lead areas. The edge youth climbing team is also another rivalry for our Aiguille climbing team. I had an opportunity to climb at one of their rock climbing competition this year and it was a lot of fun. By the end of the 3rd hour, my body became jello. I was constantly inspired by the kids who competed. I could barely keep up. It was a humbling experience.
- Sun Country Rocks is located at 333 SW 140th Terrace, Newberry, FL 32669. It is 14 miles west of the old Gainsville Rock Climbing Gym which is now closed due to sinkhole damages. Sun Country Rocks gym provides 2500 square feet of indoor climbing wall of top-rope, lead climb, and bouldering.
- Lake Wauburg Climbing Wall & Bouldering Grotto is located at 312 Whitehurst Rd, Micanopy, Fl 32667 and approximately 12 miles south of Gainesville. It is primarily for the University of Florida (UF) students, staff, faculty, and affiliates with active Gator 1 Cards. It has an artificial outdoor climbing wall of 55 feet tall and looks pretty neat from the video link to the website. I guess this one does not count because it is not available to the public.
Panhandle of Florida
- Weatherford’s Outback is an interesting small climbing gym in Pensacola that is designed to prepare climbers for real rock climbing experiences. Their address is 3009 E. Cervantes St., Pensacola, FL 32503. Their website looks interesting. I would love to check them out the next time I am in the area.
- Tallahassee Rock Gym is a community climbing and bouldering gym. They are located at 629 Industrial Drive, Tallahassee, FL 32310. It looks like a fun place to climb.
- Coral Cliffs Indoor Rock Climbing Gym is located at 3400 Southwest 26th Terrace, #A4, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312. They have over 87 top rope routes, 25 lead routes, and different types of bouldering areas. Wow, that is the biggest I’ve come across so far in Florida. I visited April 2018. Click HERE for my review ==> Coral Cliffs Review.
- Extreme Rock Climbing Gym now is known as The Edge is a 14,000 square feet climbing gym (top rope, lead, and bouldering) that is located at 13972 SW 139 Court, Miami, Fl 33186. Their climbing team is another rivalry for Team Aiguille.
- Florida Atlantic University Climbing Center is a climbing facility that offers an outdoor inclined bouldering wall and a 30-foot tall rock wall. This climbing facility is available to non-students at least 18 years old. They are located at Florida Atlantic University, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431.
- Ninja Lounge offers obstacle courses, rope courses, climbing activities, a virtual Reality Park, and Soft Play. It is not a dedicated climbing gym but has climbing activities such as bouldering, speed routes, chimney climb, etc. They are located at 14401 NE 20th Lane, North Miami, FL 33181.
- ProjectRock is the newest rock gym in Southern Florida. They are located at 3580 N Andrews Ave, Oakland Park, FL 33309.
Their mission is “bringing outdoor climbing indoor”. They have over 18,000 sq ft of climbing with walls from 40 to 60 feet tall. It is a fun place to be. I had a chance to visit. Click here ==> My ProjectRock Review.
West Coast of Florida
- Vertical Ventures is a newer climbing gym opened in 2015. They are located 116 18th St South, St. Petersburg, FL 33712. I got them mixed up with Vertical Ventures in Tampa once because the name is the same. I didn’t pay attention to the address Tampa vs St. Petersburg, duh… Needless to say, we showed up at the wrong Vertical Venture for a youth bouldering competition and barely made it in time for the comp. I am sharing this with you so that you will not make the same mistake I did. =) They have 40-foot tall walls with more than 80 routes and a central raised area for bouldering.
- Vertical Ventures in Tampa is an older gym own by the same owner as Vertical Ventures in St. Petersburg. It is located at 5402 Pioneer Park Blvd, Tampa, FL 33634. This gym is specialized in bouldering. They do have 10 top rope routes and 5 auto-belay stations.
Overall, I am glad I put this list together. This is a great opportunity for me to explore and experience different climbing gyms in the near future. If you come across a public gym that is not listed here, have suggestions, or questions, feel free to write a comment below. I love to hear from you.